Hurray, Hurray! The açai bowl is in the country!
After the health freaks in L.A., the surfers of Australia, and the vegans of the Netherlands, it’s our turn (finally!!)! On social media, the most beautiful pictures have been flying by for a while now and there is an almost life and death struggle for the first place in the contest “Where do you eat the most beautiful and delicious açai bowl?”
As you know by now, açai is a palm berry from the Amazon rainforest. The flesh is what remains after the berry has been pitted and this flesh is only available frozen. The reason why the berries cannot be found fresh is that they spoil very quickly after picking. But no complaining, this frozen açai pulp is the ideal base for the famous açai bowl.
The term “Açai bowl” comes from the Brazilian “Açai na tigela” which literally means “Açai from a bowl.” Due to the popularity of the açai bowl in America, this name has been adopted in Dutch.
The açai bowl is a super simple but very tasty preparation that is usually characterized by a fresh, sorbet-like structure. Delicious for breakfast or snack or as an über healthy and especially über delicious dessert to serve your guests!
What do you need?
- 1 sachet Holy Berry – Açai & Guarana, slightly defrosted
- ½ banana, fresh
- 80g fresh or frozen fruit such as berry mix, mango, pear, …
- 5 tablespoons (vegetable) yogurt
- Toppings to finish the bowl
How do you make it?
Remove the packet of Açai & Guarana from the freezer 5 minutes before preparation. Once the packet is slightly thawed, cut it in half and place both halves of the açai pulp in a bowl or blender. Add the other ingredients (except toppings) and blend in a blender or with a hand blender until creamy. Add some extra (vegetable) yogurt to make the mixing a little easier. Put the preparation in a bowl and finish with toppings such as low sugar granola, seeds, coconut flakes, cacao nibs, pieces of fresh fruit, …
- You can also use a packet of Holy Berry Açai – Special Grade for this recipe but then it’s best to add another tablespoon or 2 of sweetener in the form of agave, maple syrup,… to the recipe.
- Or replace the packet Açai & Guarana with 100g Holy Berry – Açai berries.
- The more liquid you add the more liquid your açai bowl will become. Experiment with the ratio of (frozen) fruit versus vegetable milk until you find your preferred texture!
- Get creative! Instead of frozen berries, you can use other (seasonal) fruits such as half fresh apple or pear, cubes of frozen mango, kiwi, pineapple, plums, …
Photo: The Fresh Light www.thefreshlight.com